[CQ-Contest] Dupes or Duped?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Dupes or Duped?
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:24:25 -0800 (PST)
One of the issues I encountered during the contest I decided to bring up here
is the issue of dupes...
A few times during the contest I called a DX only to be told to 'buzz off you
are a dupe!'  In each of those times I had not worked them before, I had not
worked them and broken their call, such as substituting 5 for H, B for D, etc.,
I had not worked their grandfather, or even dated their sister...  My sending
'not in log', was greeted with being CQ'd in my face...  OK, I contest for fun
so I shrugged and moved on... But I do not understand those stations that act
like a dupe contact is akin to catching a social disease... In each of those
cases the DX had logged a Q with my call and now he has a bad Q that will not
match in my log...   Working me "again" would have at least recovered a couple
of those lost points...

Maybe the group can explain to me why these ops are so phobic about logging a
dupe?  Now, for those stations I did actually dupe because I caught a partial
call in heavy qrm and/or tail ended someone <mea culpa>, I did log those so
that both our logs match and all is well... Interestingly, the big shooters
that I did dupe accidentally <HC8N> for one simply worked me again in 2 seconds
flat without comment and we both moved on; a win-win...

denny / k8do