Re: [CQ-Contest] Dupes or Duped?

To: "'Dennis OConnor'" <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>,"'CQ-Contest Reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dupes or Duped?
From: "W0MU Mike Fatchett" <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:18:29 -0700
I had the same thing happen in SS. I probably have a busted call in my log.
I could never get the guy to tell me when we had worked.  The other scenario
is he thought I worked him but was working someone else in that case he will
get the NIL or busted Qso penalty.

It is worth the time to fix the problem if someone says you are not in my
log.  There are NO penalties for dupes with electronic logs!  I duped a SA
station in the CQ WW CW because I copied his call wrong the second time.
The station never said anything but I did ask for his call and he slowed
down and low and behold it was a dupe.  No harm no foul.

Some guys don't log and will try to work you a bunch of times in SS.  Those
I generally tell "hey we worked at XX and they said oh sorry and move on.  I
would rather them try to work me a few times than not at all.

Prior to computer logging there was no choice but to log everyone and dupe
check later if you were at a DX location with big rates.  The dupe rates
were considerably higher back then.  I wish I still had the data from our
VP2KBU and V47A, V47M efforts in the 80's in the ARRL DX tests.

Mike W0MU