Re: [CQ-Contest] Little old ladies changing tires

To: "Robert Naumann" <w5ov@w5ov.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Little old ladies changing tires
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 09:43:03 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 07:56:17 -0600, "Robert Naumann" <w5ov@w5ov.com>
 wrote:

>Again, if someone tells you that the VO1 is up 5, what do you do? Ignore the
>VO1 because you now know about it through no action of your own? Why not? I
>see nothing wrong with this or unethical in any way. Why penalize your own
>score for something you had nothing to do with and didn't ask for?
>
>This is so binary to me I am struggling with how it is not commonly
>understood.

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

It's really simple, really. The other station has assisted you by
giving you information about where to find the VO1. He fed the
information directly to you, nobody else. This is far different from
you tuning around and overhearing the same information, but NOT
directed to you. Information casually broadcast to all is fair game,
information spoon-fed to you is not.

If you wish to remain in the unassisted class, just ignore the info
and keep operating. If you act upon the spoon-fed information, you are
now assisted.

There is nothing wrong at all with receiving assistance, so long as
you do not claim to be in the unassisted class. Do the right thing.

Bill, W6WRT