Re: [CQ-Contest] Fw: Re: 15 minute log deadline

To: 'Robert Chudek - KØRC' <k0rc@pclink.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fw: Re: 15 minute log deadline
From: "Paul J. Piercey" <p.piercey@nl.rogers.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 20:02:12 -0000
> > I hope that he shows again but no deal.   I have make a
> note of the error in my
> > log and know that he has logged me.
> > 1.  Should I delete the Q ?  He looses points and has a
> pentalty for
> > NIL
> .
> > 2   Should I post contest try to contact him and correct my log  or
> > 3   Should I try to contact him and advise that he is no
> longer in my L0g prior
> > to his submitting his log  ??
> >
> > Quack
> >
> > -------------------------------
> > All 3 of the above are incorrect.
> >
> > 4. Enter the information, as best as you can, even though you know
> > some of it is incorrect. No one will get a NIL. You will
> lose credit
> > for the contact, and possible incur a penalty, due to
> incorrect exchange information.
> >
> > 73,
> > Steve, N2IC
>
> Exactly.
>
> Your error.  Your penalty.  No foul against WA0XYZ.
>
> 73, de Hans, K0HB
>

> The Radiosport appears to be the only competition where some
> participants want "overs". The last time I recall this
> happening was on the grade school playground.
>
> Let's see... in hockey, the puck hits the goal post... does
> the player get "overs" after the game?
>
> Let's see... in basketball, the ball dances on the rim and
> falls outside the net... does the shooter get "overs" after the game?
>
> Let's see... in bowling, the ball drops into the gutter,
> missing all pins... does the bowler get "overs" after the game?
>
> If you screw up a contact during the contest, that's the time
> to fix it. I've heard plenty of operators ask someone to hold
> on a sec, I need your report again, the computer just went nuts.
>
> Someone suggested the contest is not a typing test. I agree.
> So if you can't type that fast, slow down.

I agree that a mistake should be corrected at the time is was made. If your
running a 200/hr clip, you'd better know how to type fast but if you make a
mistake, take a few seconds to correct it and then move on.

On another note, I can assure you that radiosport is NOT the only
competition where the participant wants "do-overs". I've had lots of golf
shots that I wish I could take back. Ask Bill Buckner about his dream
"do-over". :)

On the question of post-contest log massaging.... seeing how I got jumped on
for suggesting that logging programs have a feature that allows the log to
be quickly or automatically sent to the sponsors after a contest, how about
this one? How about if the logging software automatically stops at the end
of the contest and encrypts the log file, locks it from further editing and
can only be opened by the contest sponsors?

Again, this is just a thought for discussion... not a directive for
immediate implementation.

73 -- Paul VO1HE