Re: [CQ-Contest] Improving Concentration

To: Rick - K6VVA <dx35@hilding.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Improving Concentration
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 08:28:19 -0500
On Jan 6, 2007, at 12:33 AM, Rick - K6VVA wrote:

> In my first year of college, one professor told us that various
> studies
> indicated that the optimum room temperature for "mental activity"
> was in
> the low 40 degree range (if I remember correctly).  I would agree.

I don't know where this study came from, but it has been known for
many years that humans operate optimally in a very narrow skin
temperature range. Above 85 degrees, thinking slows down
considerably, and below 59 degrees, the muscles lose much of their
speed and power, and will tend to cramp.

Certainly being too warm is a problem, but if you are sitting in a 40
degree room, you won't be able to concentrate because you'll be
shivering!

In 1996, I did the January NAQP from an open table in my basement. It
was 60 degrees in the basement, and even with thick clothing and a
blanket draped over me, I was really cold after the contest was over.
I can't imagine what 48 hours at 40 degrees would be like.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901