Re: [CQ-Contest] A Plea to Cabrillo Contet Robot Writers

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A Plea to Cabrillo Contet Robot Writers
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 21:52:12 -0500
May I make a small suggestion?

GIVEN:  That there are contests out there that no longer require an RS(T)
report as part of their exchange (Stu Perry and the Pa QSO Party just to
name two);

GIVEN:  That many (most?) Cabrillo Contest Robots and similar software are
set up to look for as RS(T) field in the log;

and

GIVEN:  Some contesters are unsurprisingly reluctant to put a "phony" 59(9)
RS(T) exchange in the log since it wasn't sent or received...

Why not put an RST of "00(0)" in the submitted log instead?

After all, that is the purpose in our numbering system of the Zero -- to be
a place holder.  So it's a logical extension.

Now, I can see a few pseudo-lawyers saying "but wait!  '00(0)' wasn't sent
either!"  Correct, BUT, if this suggestion is adopted, we would be DEFINING
a '00(0)' RS(T) shown in a computer log SPECIFICALLY as a dummy variable to
be used by software applications in situations where the software expects a
signal report but one wasn't exchanged.

Thoughts?

73, ron w3wn
when life hands some a lemon, some make lemonade...
I look for Tequilla and salt...