Re: [CQ-Contest] A Plea to Cabrillo Contet Robot Writers

To: "'B. Scott Andersen'" <bsandersen@mac.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A Plea to Cabrillo Contet Robot Writers
From: "Randy Thompson" <k5zd@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:22:03 -0000
Unfortunately, the problem here is not a technical one, but a "political" or
"change" one. For a new format to be successful, it MUST be adopted by both
ARRL and CQ.  CQ is tough because it has 6 different contestlog checkers who
operate somewhat independently.

The only thing that will drive change is a recognized problem.  Right now,
most people happily submit their logs and know almost nothing about the
limitations of Cabrillo.  Nor do they really need to (except when the robot
barks).  The log checkers seem to be happy too (thanks to the robot helping
enforce proper formatting).

So... The tech guys should create the framework for something better
(preferably on some other list). But, they should not expect people to just
accept it.  A long period of sales will be needed to convince the powers at
ARRL and CQ that there will be a benefit to changing.

K5ZD