Re: [CQ-Contest] Changing categories - and a entry categorysuggestion

To: Mark Beckwith <n5ot@n5ot.com>,"cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Changing categories - and a entry categorysuggestion
From: Richard DiDonna NN3W <nn3w@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 9:56:01 -0500
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 8:29 AM
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Changing categories

>>> There are some legitimate reasons why
>>> an entrant might change their category.
>>> Mark, N5OT
>>
>> Suppose I plan an SOAB entry but suddenly one of my antennas becomes
>> faulty
>> or there is some other unexpected reason that limits my performance hence
>> my
>> score.
>> Why would it be so bad to send in my log as SB then? In the case of
>> pre-registering, you'd be stuck.
>
> This is a good example of a legitimate reason to change categories.
>
> Just last week at this time, me and my teammates were all looking at each
> other wondering if we might need to scale back to Multi-Single because our
> host DX station was nowhere near ready to support a Multi-Two.  That would
> have been a legitimate category change.

I was in a similar situation this past weekend - but from the reverse
direction.  I initially entered as a single band 40 meter entry.  40 meters was
not so hot, and not less than 3 or 4 times I considered abandoning the single
band effort and switching to all bands...

And since we're on the issue of broken bands and operations, has any thought
been given to allowing stations to submit TWO single band entries a they do in
the Russia DX test?  Say a 15 meter entry and a 40 meter entry from the same
station?  Or a 10 meter entry and a 80 meter entry from the same station?
Might increase activity somewhat.

73 Rich NN3W