Re: [CQ-Contest] Going all the way....

To: "Robert L. Shohet" <kq2m@earthlink.net>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Going all the way....
From: "Andrew Faber" <andrew.faber@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 11:52:48 -0800
I have to agree with Bob's post.  I came late to serious contesting, just
starting 5 years ago at age 56, and have operated, for example, ARRL DX CW,
for the last 5 years as a single op.  I'm not at all sure that the endurance
and concentration needed to win such a contest as much to do with age.

I find it fascinating (though not easy) to attempt a serious effort in a
48-hour contest.  What seems to work best for me as a compromise on
operating time is to be in the chair for about 44 hours.  But the compromise
could be different for each operator.  You really do learn a lot about
yourself in making such an effort.

And, as Bob says, there are lots of contests for shorter periods.  I'm
always worn out after a 4-hour Sprint (though there of course isn't the need
to recover for a few days as you may have after a longer contest). Thank
goodness the other contests don't quite have Sprint's frenetic nature.

Nobody has to try to win a 48-hour contest, just like no one has to try to
run a marathon, but it's really challenging (and potentially highly
satisfying) to try.  I vote to continue the current diversity among
contests.

73, Andy, AE6Y, P49Y