Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules - Getting out of hand

To: <vo1he@rac.ca>, "'Richard Thorne'" <rmthorne@suddenlink.net>,<CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules - Getting out of hand
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:49:49 -0500
VO1HE wrote,
> My issue is with the pretenders who want to be rare DX from the security
> and
> comfort of their own homes.

I doubt this will ever happen. Who would set up the radios on Heard? The
penguins?

Seriously, however, since when has contesting been about who can afford the
plane tickets? In SS, if WP3R's TX and RX are located at the rim of Arecibo,
and the operation is clearly a Puerto Rican operation (1234 B WP3R 63 PR,
instead of 1234 B KE3Q 63 MD), does it really matter if Rich is located at
the rim of Arecibo?

The only time remote operations would cause me concern is if they attempt to
impart an unfair advantage: in other words, when a W0 has a remote station
in VO1 but still tries to play WW as a W0.

The means of remoting the operation, I don't believe, impart any unfair
advantage. Sure, it would be neater if the remote operation could be done
all on RF, but to me, the only difference is the length of the control
wires.

73, kelly
ve4xt