Re: [CQ-Contest] A call to action

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A call to action
From: Vic Dively <kg4htt@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 00:35:54 -0500
I would second Ward's observation.  As a relatively new ham (2000) and
also relatively new to contesting, I think our challenge is helping new
hams experience the high points of contesting, even if they only have
modest (or very modest, as in my case) equipment.  I live in a townhouse
in Northern Virginia, so I experiment with various attic antennas, and
operate QRP, because it is fun, and because it is necessary in order to
minimize RFI.

So why do I occasionally enter contests?  Every contest usually brings
some magical moments (at least at this early stage for me)... like
working ZL3WW on 40M during the recent ARRL DX CW, using a 13 x 13 ft.
loop in my attic... I have never heard New Zealand before on 40M, and was
surprised to see my sig make it that far.  One of many fun surprises,
although my total QSO count was only 108.  But since I'm ultimately
competing against myself, I enjoy the experience and am usually trying
out a new antenna (that loop was only a couple days old), and watching to
see how it responds on various bands throughout the contest.  In that
respect, each contest is a bit of an unknown - Will I do better?  Will I
hear zones/countries that I've never heard before?  At this stage, every
contest provides something new and unpredictable, which keeps it fun.

If you set up the big red button, I would stress to beginners that no
matter how modest your setup, contesting is a great way to gather up
months of radio "magic" and squeeze it into 48 hours.

73, Victor KG4HTT