Re: [CQ-Contest] No more JAs

To: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] No more JAs
From: "Stuart Santelmann KC1F" <kc1f@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:19:02 -0400
> Naw - that would just make the 40m total go through the roof.  This has
> been
> an issue for a lot longer than half a sunspot cycle.  Us OTs can't just
> wow
> you with charts and graphs like is normal today - because none of us (?)
> have our logs from the 70s in ASCII for computer analysis (or do we?).
> Does
> anyone have a good audio recording of a USA west coast station running JAs
> on 15m from the 70s?  That would make the point I think.

When I lived in Seattle briefly in 1978, I had the good fortune to operate
from K7RI and VE7WJ, and from K7SS' house that he shared with Al K7TI ?  My
memory on that is a bit dim, but I recall being able to raise big
non-contest JA pileups with their TH6.  The JA pileups on SSB at VC7WJ
during WW SSB were monstrous and I not only went below the US band to thin
the pile out but also briefly went by JA call areas.  This was when the
sunspot sycle was on its way up.  I don't think I've heard SSB pileups that
deep ever since then from North America, and I've had a 275 hour from New
Hampshire at KT1V.  One evening while visiting Tom K7RI he overheard me
running JAs with his call rather than mine, and got alarmed because he
didn't need another pound of JA QSLs.

I enjoyed my stay there very much but have failed to get back to Seattle -
some day !  And don't let them tell you the weather stinks  - it's a hoax to
prevent more people from moving there.  And I have a degree in
meteorology...

Stu        KC1F