Re: [CQ-Contest] No more JAs

To: "David Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] No more JAs
From: "Andrei Stchislenok" <asnp3d@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:19:47 -0500
I still hope, when propogation improve, say in 5 years or so, JA's
pile-ups will be back, as well as BA-BZ stations, there were many of them
opened right now.
I do not hear many Russian stations from Asia -  and do I know that there
are many active hams, just no conditions, they do not hear us and we don't
hear them.
We are all human,
Propagation (to be exact - lack of it) this is the main problem.
73's Andrei EW1AR-NP3D

2007/3/28, David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>:

> KI9A@aol.com wrote:
> > Or, maybe it propagation being So poor?
> >
> > 73-Chuck KI9A
> >

> This is not a propagation problem.  For those relative newcomes amoung
> us, many of us "old timers" who remember DX contesting in the 70s and
> 80s can tell stories of (seemingly) never-ending runs of JAs from even
> modest stations well away from the west coast.  In my case, I can
> clearly remember getting my first 100+ hours on 28 MHz SSB running JAs
> from Michigan with a 3L tribander at 40' mounted in a tree.
>
> Nothing like this exists now.  It's also the reason for the demise in DX
> contest activity in zone 3 (no insult intended).
>
> One hypothesis put forth is that the JAs got bored with being "cannon
> fodder" for the West Coast big guns.  Another theory is that as crowding
> the big JA cities got worse, fewer JAs could put up antennas for HF.
> Perhaps the lure of cell phones and computers pulled the JA
> techno-hobbyist away from ham radio.  Take your pick.
>
> I doubt there is any easy fix for this, unless we can make HF ham radio
> attractive to these people again.
>
> For many years, we all waited for a huge explosion of BY hams as China
> became a more open society.  That hasn't worked to any great extent
> either...
>

> 73,
>
> Dave/K8CC

73's Andrei