Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Contesting

To: vo1he@rac.ca
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Contesting
From: "Gerry Hull" <gerry@w1ve.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 18:29:38 -0500
On 3/29/07, Paul J. Piercey <p.piercey@nl.rogers.com> wrote, in part:

"Some have argued that opening the door to remote operation will increase
the
numbers of amateurs on the bands. Frankly, if they don't have the drive to
set up a station as best they can now, then a glorified video game is not
going to hold their attention for very long. Ultimately, only the truly
interested will stick with the hobby. This hasn't changed as long as I've
been a involved in the hobby."

Paul,

I had to jump back in.

I see your points perfectly, but you make comparisons that make no sense and
this
is why everybody on the "remote" side gets up in arms.

Comparing operating remote to playing a canned, programmed video game is
just plain silly.
Remote operation is still RF-to-RF communications, with all it's issues.
Setting up the remote station
IS more complex than your "single point" station.

Also, there are many hams, lifelong hams, who have contributed immensely to
this hobby.  Many of them
have had little, if any QSOs!  Who are they?   They are engineers, who get
their jollies from technology innovation rather than on-the-air operating.
Are they any less of a ham than you?  I think not.     If they innovate to
extend the mike or key across a continent, should their work be shunned
because you don't think it's appropriate?

Skype and Echolink are VOIP technologies.   Communicating end-to-end with
them is nothing more
than using the internet to talk -- this has nothing to do with ham radio.

When you connect a Skype endpoint to the Public Switched Telephone Network,
are you completing a
telephone call?  Sure you are.

When a Skype endpoint is connected to an amateur radio transceiver, are you
talking over ham radio?
You betcha.

Can you argue that this is not "pure" ham radio?   Well, that is the
emotional argument.     Is your argument valid?
Sure, from your point of view.

However,  I think you'll find that the majority of hams will embrace remote
operation, and allow it in contests...  In fact, that's already the case.

Those who believe that remote operation is not "pure" can lobby to kill it,
but I do not think it will go anywhere.

Those who believe it should be outlawed because it will allow people to
cheat -- well, under that rationale, we should outlaw amplifiers that can
produce over 1500W, packet, computers, and almost every other device or
scheme one can dream up.

Rational minds will prevail.

Gerry, W1VE/VE1RM
Explore real-time competition in ham radio - post your score to
http://www.getscores.org!