Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Contesting

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Contesting
From: "Cedrick \"Fred\" Johnson - WT2P" <fredwt2p@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:04:41 -0400

I've been on the sidelines, but have followed this with great interest. I
think that remote operation should be allowed, but there needs to be some
restrictions on it. I do not condone someone putting stations on every
continent and then working a contest and claiming their home QTH as the
"single-point".

Ladies and Gentlemen, if we are to at least try to keep the internet and all
these fancy things from further eroding interest in this hobby and the many
facets within, we must be able to adapt to the times.

Allow me to share an analogy that's now widely used in my industry, and that
is the fact that many firms who have the $$ can put a automated black box
trading computer physically close to the exchange to reduce the latency and
time it takes to spot a opportunity, trade in it, and then trade out of it,
sometimes in less than a fraction of a second. At first, many people cried
foul, that it was "unfair", and this and that. It's much like a remote
station, I could be sitting on a farm in MS, but have my computers trading
for me as if I were sitting right next to all the major exchanges. People
cried, but in the end, no matter how much you cry, innovation and progress
will run you over and you will be left in the dust. Are we going to continue
to allow innovation and progress towards a more "connected" world to leave
us in the dust? That's for you to decide.

We as hams have the unique opportunity NOW to define the future. Finding a
way to allow for people who, due to restrictions, etc. to operate stations
remotely. And, if we can pull together and devise coherent rules and agreed
operating principles, we can make ham radio appealing again.

73

Cedrick "Fred" Johnson
WT2P - ex. K9YO, N9YXA
New York, NY 10031
AIM: k9yo
fredwt2p@gmail.com
http://chibondking.blogspot.com
Fixed Income | Derivatives | Equities | Research