Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU HF Championship - A Travesty

To: BruceAA5B@aol.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU HF Championship - A Travesty
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 19:04:52 -0400
Bruce, et al:

I am a big fan of the IARU HF Championship, although it seems like I
only operate in it occasionally.  Over the past few of years we've done
multi-ops here at K8CC, and one year not all that long ago I drove down
to be part of the K8AZ team for this contest.  And of course, we were
NU1AW/8 on 80CW, 40CW, 20 SSB and 15CW from this QTH last year, along
with three other MRRC/NCC sites linked toether over the Internet.  I
never dreamed that we would work 8600+ QSOs *at a sunspot minimum*.  It
was great fun watching 700+ QSOs go into the log in the first hour of
the contest, with the CT log window showing a new screen full of QSOs
every minute!

I really like IARU.  The 24 hour format is great (as so aptly described
here on the reflector by Ed, N1UR), and although it has a small
multiplier set, the mid-summer band strategies can be learning
experiences.  I'd never have believed that a W8 could *run* (yes, run)
European stations on 80 CW at 0200Z, or work JAs long path on 28 MHz at
1200Z.  (OK, so the latter is not likely for a few more years.)

But I'd encourage you not to sit this one out, and if I can get my 3L 40
spinning between now and the contest I might just join you in the
multi-op category.  Most of the alleged cheating is not in the
categories we inhabit anyways.

I've been trying to follow the cheating accusations, but how many of
these have been communicated to the logchecking team?  As a volunteer
logchecker myself, I would offer the observation that while in recent
years we've seen great strides in lock "checking" (i.e., matching up and
verifying QSOs at each end), I don't think checkers are being expected
to "monitor" the contest (for lack of a better term).  If you suspect
something's wrong, TELL IT TO THE CONTEST DEPARTMENT rather than
spilling it here on the reflector, where all you'll get is a bunch of
commiseration and nodding of heads.  If something can be investigated,
I'm pretty confident that HQ will look into it.

I wonder how much of the suspected "cheating" has more to do with the
accusers simply not believing (or can't conceive) how the scores can be
done legitimately?  I think back to the 1975 SS Phone, listening the
WA5VDH (now K5UR) make almost 1300 QSOs while claiming "A" power.
Listening to his S9+20dB signal on 75M, I was convinced he was running
an amp.  However, just three years later I found myself in the operating
chair at the original N5DX station with a barefoot C-Line and no amp in
the shack, and beat Rick's score myself.  So sometimes you don't know
what you CAN do...

But then again, 2400+ QSOs on 160M from a HQ station in IARU is
certainly extraordinary.  I would think this takes the definition of
"uniques" to a new limit...

Don't bother sending your gripes to the CAC.  I am on the CAC, and our
name means "Contest Advisory Committee", not the "ARRL Contest Oversight
Committee".  Our role is to advise the directors, Membership Services
Committee, or ARRL HQ Contest Department when requested; we're not
tasked to be the "voice of the contester" to carry complaints to the ARRL.

I'm glad they clarified the IARU HF dates, otherwise I might have been
QRV a week early...hope to CU in the pileups.

73,

Dave/K8CC