Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU - Join Us

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU - Join Us
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:31:48 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 23:12:13 -0400, "Stephen M. Murphy"
<murphys@comcast.net> wrote:

>Having operated RTTY for over 20 years as well as being an avid CW op, I
>have to agree with Hank.  It's obvious that _many_ RTTY ops are tuning
>by clicking near the humps in the display and letting their software's
>AFC take care of most of the fine tuning.

AFC is fine if the S&P station is also using the "NET" function with
AFSK. Some beginning RTTY'ers use AFC with FSK and no NET and that
leads to an off-frequency reply. This is a subtle error and one which
has been discussed on the RTTY reflector often. Eventually the new
guys figure it out, mostly.

Bill W6WRT