Re: [CQ-Contest] A3S or TH3JR or....a QUAD!

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A3S or TH3JR or....a QUAD!
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:37:45 -0400
K9TM and I used a GemQuad kit for the 20-15-10 antenna at the little
station we've assembled down on St. Croix, and we have been very pleased
with it's performance.  However, we found through computer modeling that
GemQuad's element lengths are not correct.  We modified GemQuad's
lengths in K6STI's NEC-for-Wires program to get the F/B and SWR centered
on the band, then we built the quad with those lengths and the SWR curve
is very, very close to the model prediction.  The antenna has been up
now for almost two years and has produced two world top 10s in the
multi-single category of WPX SSB and the #2 SOHP score in SS phone.  Not
bad for an antenna with an 8' boom.

The GemQuad hardware (spreaders and mounting spiders) appear substantial
and of good quality.  Like any quad, wire flexing at the corners had to
be addressed, but so far we've been very happy with the antenna.

Dave/K8CC