Re: [CQ-Contest] A3S or TH3JR or....a QUAD!

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A3S or TH3JR or....a QUAD!
From: "Jukka Klemola" <jukka.klemola@elisanet.fi>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:04:29 +0300
Gallup results so far:
Some people write about tuning the antenna.
Some write about antenna tuners with a quad.
Some suggestion regarding mechanics would not tolerate Alaskan latitudes
so in practise I should just forget about a quad.
Some noise without any answer towards the direction of solving the
original question or the added part but keeping on the subject,
elaborating people's thinking.

Only one answer with a set of measures, and the measures look pretty
neat.
The answer was such I almost believe that is the truth about quad
measures .. anyhow, I will test the measures I got in that answer next
Summer.

Remembering the original question, it was about selecting between two
yagis that serve more than one band.

Review of this Quad thread:
The original question was simple. Then Quad was added.
Quad part of the thread did not add value to the original question at
all as there simply does not seem to be established design for a quad.
I do not believe a Quad is magic but it is art and obviously would need
some pruning at the site.

At least the Quad is much more complex to build than a pre-assembled 3
el triband yagi.

So, as my answer to the original thread is I would stick with the yagi.

My two euro cents is:
A3S weighs more.
A3S accepts more power without feature of generating smoke.
A3S is likely more expensive.
A3S likely is better as an antenna - gain difference maybe at or below
3dB on 20m. 3dB you cannot really notice.

So there you go: it is a compromise.

In case traveller's weight budget is limited, that feature has more
importance.
In case you absolutely want to maximise your signal, the power handling
& gain becomes the deciding factor.
In case budget is the single important issue, there is no question.

Just realise the compromising features and make the selection.
There may be more compromising features like expected assembly time or
required tools to assy just to mention two that come into my mind.

For audience:
It is very rich to read comments to more or less anything that do not
really address the original question at all.
I personally like this about our contesting reflector.
By elaborating and contributing ideas we will gain more as a bunch of
people all around the world making this contesting hobby more exciting.

Thanks to all for the comments.

73,
Jukka OH6LI