Re: [CQ-Contest] A3S or TH3JR or....a QUAD!

To: "Jukka Klemola" <jukka.klemola@elisanet.fi>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A3S or TH3JR or....a QUAD!
From: "Chet Moore" <ChetMoore@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 21:18:53 -0400
a quad in Finland?  Not unless you make the spreaders out of pole vaulting
poles !  I had a 2 el quad  which I turned with an AR-22 rotor for 3 years
when I lived in burlingame Calif.  Moved to Dale City Virginia.  I had to
make 4 repairs.  between march and November.  Working on a quad in freezing
weather is not fun even though I had a rohn 25 G 60 foot foldover tower.
the first snowstorm of the season finished it off.   I loved the quad, it
performed well,  I also believed that it opened the bands a few minutes
earlier than the yagi's I used to compare it to when at K4CG.  We had a 2 EL
cubex quad for some MARS work at K4CG and while the quad worked well, we
lost it too after about 2 years.  It was hard to work on that one as our
crankup tower was stuck in the UP position. Quad maintenance is a nightmare.

The quad should do well from the caribbean on dxpedition which is where this
post originated. I would think one of the spyder beam antennas would also do
well but I doubt either will make it thru a winter in Finland.

press on regardless

73

Chet N4FX