Re: [CQ-Contest] 160 Receiving Antennas

To: DLindsay.vlc@mscspain.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 160 Receiving Antennas
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 01:28:30 -0400
Duncan, Tom, et al:

As W8JI makes clear on his web site, the only real improvement in
receiving capability on 160M results from DIRECTIVITY.  A short loaded
vertical will be no better noise discrimination than a full-sized vertical.

Here at K8CC, the low loops as WC7S describes are very useful for high
angle signals.  However, it is omnidirectional which goes against the
W8JI tenet described in the previous paragraph.  This doesn't mean it's
not a useful antenna, but it's not going to significantly improve your
RX capability for DX signals.

I've built a homebrew version of the two loop (four direction) K9AY
system (essentially a homebrew version of the ArraySolutions product)
and found it to work exactly as advertised.  When you point the array at
a station, they always got louder. Even the front/side seemed much more
significant than the pattern plots would suggest.  However, the array is
not all that directive - the only real directivity is the null straight
off the back.  However, it IS a good null.  The first night I had the
array running was in a CQ 160M contest a few years ago.  I decided to
fire up on a freq to call CQ, asked QRL? three times then let loose, and
aroused the wrath of some K9 who I could barely hear on the K9AY array.
However, he was in the null, and when I switched the direction of the
antenna he was S9!

I also have had an array of loaded short verticals in a four-square with
1/4 wave spacing on each side.  This was before the DXEngineering
switchbox became available, so I fed it with a ComTek transmit-style
switchbox.  The array DID work - when VY2ZM was S7 here on the FT-1000D
s-meter with the array switched NE, he was S0 (needle not moving) with
the array SW.  However, it did not seem to help us hear the DX any
better. I'm sure the array would have worked better fed with a
DXEngineering switchbox.  It probably would also work better if I didn't
have five other towers in my five-acre yard :-(

73,

Dave/K8CC