Re: [CQ-Contest] TQP vs CQ RTTY

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] TQP vs CQ RTTY
From: Aldewey@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 14:11:05 EDT

In a message dated 10/5/2007 8:22:59 AM Central Daylight Time,
k4bai@worldnet.att.net writes:

There was once a four-land QSO party.  It was never very successful and
disappeared at or about the time that its organizer, W4OMW, died.  Every
fourth area state has a fairly successful QSO party each year other than
South Carolina, which is struggling with little activity and a conflict
with NA Sprint SSB.  73, John, K4BAI.

I think that State QSO Parties play an important part in contesting.  Each
one has a local "feel".  Except for the really big ones (like CQP) , they are
not so competitive that the little guy feels intimidated.  I would bet a lot of
today's contesters have first tipped their toe in a State QSO party.  Also,
for one day a year, the guys in that state (even the little pistols) feel
"sought after" and can even run a little.  And for the mobiles, it is a real
hoot.

In Minnesota, there has also been talk of moving toward a more regional or
Zero area QSO party.  I simply do not think bigger is always better in this
case.

It is true that it means there might be many little contests on some
weekends.  But I don't think there is anything wrong with that.  I like the
idea of
logging SW being able to handle multiple contests at once.  It would be nice if
we could see that in the future.

73,

Al, K0AD