Re: [CQ-Contest] Domestic stations in CQWW

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Domestic stations in CQWW
From: Oliver Dröse <droese@necg.de>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 13:41:34 +0100
Hi guys,

you're moaning about your little 4 to 6% domestic callers? Come on overhere to
Europe! ;-))

Our experience in this year's WWDX SSB: My friend operated 160 m Single while I
was doing a 10 m Single entry. On 10 m we had some very nice E-skip openings
resulting in DL stations calling me on 10 m at S9+++ strength from as little as
200 mi. away (which is even with good ES conds not too common). They were
ofcourse most welcome for 2 reasons: they kept up my runs (although 0 points)
and they showed how good ES propagation actually was - much appreciated!

On 160 m my friend had about 20% DL callers (out of 650 Qs) with 0 points! So
what? They kept him from falling asleep ;-)) and as there usually were no
others
calling at the same time nothing was lost. And there were also experienced OPs
/
big guns calling him who were entering the contest seriously themselves and
knew
for sure the QSO had no value contest-wise - but it still had another value:
put
away the single band boredom which occurs even in good ol' Europe on 160 m with
all those stations and mults to work. ;-))

I'm sure all those callers (no matter if active in the contest or not) had a
great time with the domestic QSOs and after our internal discussions we
appreciated every single contacts with them for the above mentioned reasons and
'cause we're sure, they most probably will call again in other contests were
they DO count for something. Just see it as a kind of "marketing" for yourself
... ;-))

And finally isn't activity on our bands (i.e. also 0 point Qs) a very good
thing
to help keep our allocations?

73, Olli - DH8BQA