Re: [CQ-Contest] cheating with packet

To: KI9A@aol.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] cheating with packet
From: Jim George <n3bb@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 18:09:00 -0600
Here we go again. This is getting tiresome!

SO2R is *one* operator doing all the logging and all the listening and all
the whatever. The operator has two or three or four receivers to listen on
simultaneously, but only one signal transmitted at a time. That one
operator must do all the listening and band combing and whatever him/herself.

Packet assistance allows one to get all the accumulated listening from a
large number of the operators around the world, and have a list of spots to
seek out with "point and shoot" techniques. Some of the stations made
public by packet would be virtually impossible for any single operator ever
to locate alone. It is a huge advantage. A highly talented operator,
equally skilled across the board, should be able to make a higher score
using packet than not using packet-all other things being equal.

While I understand differences of opinion, it remains hard to me to see how
one can argue that the use of more than one radio by a single operator is
equivalent to utilizing the overall contributions of all a great many
operators. You apparently feel that way, but it is completely alien to my
logic.

I think your argument really is based on the position that people will
cheat, and we cannot police or prevent it, so we should give up, and widen
the categories so that everyone is considered the lowest common
denominator-namely with assistance from others no matter what their
category. Put all single-op categories in with all assisted single-ops.
Make it a large group. Don't trust anyone. Assume everyone uses packet no
matter what they claim under oath. Argue that this approach increases
activity. Whatever! The WAE has taken that position. At least this position
*is* logical, albeit controversial.

To extend that position, I would think you would argue the same for power
levels. Why in the world would we assume that people actually are LP or
QRP. To extend this further, why assume people are legal with high power to
the contest rules? So your argument would be to eliminate all power levels
and all single-op differences. There would be one amalgamated category:
"Hopefully Single-OP." Heck, how do we know they didn't have additional
operators but kept it secret.? So let's combine all categories and have one
category: "Operator(s)."

To me, SO2R is a high level of individual contesting skill gained with
great commitment and personal sacrifice. It's not for everyone. That
capability should be recognized and rewarded, not marginalized and
thwarted, as you would argue.

Jim George N3BB