Re: [CQ-Contest] cheating with packet

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] cheating with packet
From: "Dallas and Lucy" <ludal@dmv.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 08:26:09 -0500
 <KI9A@aol.com> wrote:

> Having said that, if you read that at least, my deal is why not take away
> tool that cheaters can use, and make it legal for everyone to use?

> -You can't stop power cheats, whether it is the QRP guy bumping the power
> up
> a tad to "just bust the pileup" for a rare mult, or the guy that runs his
> FT-1000 at 200 watts in the LP class, to the guy who fudges a bit, and
> lets the
> Henry work its way up in HP class. Can't stop that.

> --But, you can, however, totally stop packet cheaters. Make it OK for
> everyone.

I don't have a dog in this fight, and really don't care how the classes are
arranged.  I see it more as a function of sponsor initiative and how fine
they want to slice the cheese.  My point in this response deals with the
philosophy that you solve the problem by making it legal for everyone.
That's like removing speed limits so you don't have to police the highways.

That analagy would also seem to apply to power categories as they could all
be made unlimited, thus we return to sponsor initiative.  If there are less
classes, there is less administrative overhead.

Let's not lose focus on the rewards, a piece of paper, braggin rights and
self esteem or pride of personal accomplishment.  The first has little
tangible value and the second disolves quickly in the waters of public
scrutiny.  As far as the third, you don't really have it when you cheat, do
you?

73 and Happy Holidays,

Dallas W3PP