Re: [CQ-Contest] Recording your CQ WW CW contest

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Recording your CQ WW CW contest
From: Scott Robbins <w4pa@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 08:50:30 -0800 (PST)
--- "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com> wrote:
> Tono showed how it is possible for contest sponsors to review the
> logs for packet cheating.  The contest sponsors are either too lazy
> or too incompetent to do so.  If they did the job, there would be
> no need to make logs public for outsiders like Tono to do the job
> for them.

Has it ever occurred to you that part of the motivation for making the logs
public might be to see what can be done to improve the log checking
capabilities of the contest sponsors via entrant suggestions?  I can see things
reading logs that apparently other people do not interpret like I do -- I
learned this from discussing the same with one of the CQ WW committee members.

> A similar analysis can be made for power cheating or geographical
> cheating techniques.  The tools are available to assign a value
> to every QSO based on the reported antennas and power class of the
> two stations, the known SFX/A/K/MUF/LUF at the time of the contest
> and the time of the QSO.  It would not take much to make that analysis
> for each verifiable QSO.  Any entry that is regularly using higher
> power is most certainly going to show up in logs (claim QSOs) that
> would not be expected for the band/conditions/time - entries that
> exceed the "norm" by a certain amount are almost certainly cheating.

This is absolutely ridiculous, Joe.  All things being equal, the difference
between 100 and 1500 watts is 6 dB or about 1 s-unit.  You're going to use
SFX/A/K/MUF/LUF hocus-pocus and station details to determine who is using big
power and who is not?  That's absurd.

I didn't see any lines on my Cabrillo entry to report my rigs used, exact power
output, gain and height of antennas, approximate ground conductivity, proximity
to salt water, receive antenna capability nor a box I could mark that said
something like "OPERATOR ABILITY?" __ Expert __ Intermediate __ Beginner so I
could also determine what the probability of someone making a particular score
might be.

I'm unclear why you have such a serious axe to grind with contest adjudication
by CQ WW.  Could you please explain in more detail?  I'm not getting it.

Scott W4PA

W4PA Contest Blog - http://w4pa.journalspace.com
What Is Radio Contesting? - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contesting