Re: [CQ-Contest] RTTY Reflections

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RTTY Reflections
From: "Paul T. Antos" <wb2abd@roadrunner.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 09:21:12 -0500
< What's with the LDC's (long delayed responses)? Some guys wait 15 or 20
seconds before answering your CQ. Why?>

Steve - because some stations ( like me ) haven't done a RTTY contest in almost
2 decades, and they were trying to get a handle on how to work the program
literally for the first time. I made a ton of mistakes, but every contact got a
"TU" in the response.

After a frustrating 3 days of trying to get all this hardware and programming
to mesh, it all came together Sunday morning. I did a little "off the air"
practice, but that wasn't quite enough. I skipped the frying pan and went
straight for the flames. Thought it better to participate then watch TV.

Speaking of sending 5NN, I worked a DX station who sent "POP" for a serial
number. I asked for numerous repeats only to get the same response. Then a
little "bell" rang in my head ... I remember from the olden days that some
stations would use a letter instead of a number  ( RYRY was 4646, TOO was 599
etc) ... something about omitting the CHR/LTR change ... and of course, POP is
090. Found out later, this flustered some other newbies too. It's inconceivable
that "cut numbers" would be sent in data ... it doesn't shorten anything.

I have a list of my operating errors for my sticky notes for the next time.
Have to buy bigger sticky notes...

BTW Is the proper exchange  YOURCALL report MYCALL, which is what I do on CW?
Or do you guys just want the exchange and take your chances? One thing I know,
I had a hard time getting some fellas to correct my call. There's gonna be a
few busts.

Paul WB2ABD