Re: [CQ-Contest] Getscores.org Changes/Improvements...

To: n5ot@n5ot.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Getscores.org Changes/Improvements...
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:45:00 EST

In my other competitive hobby/sport - bridge - (which shares a lot of
similarities with the sport of radio, probably more so than any athletic
sport) -
competitors do not know how their opposition is doing, other than in  some
events getting what amounts to a halftime score. Even that provides no
directly
useful information, other than giving an idea of whether to take a  riskier
approach in the "second half".

Part of the higher level strategy in competitive bridge is guessing whether
other people will be playing a given hand in, say, three no-trump or four
spades. But you can only guess.  In ham radio, that's like having to guess  if
the opponents are running on 20 meters or finding mults on 10. IMHO  that is
something you should have to figure out on your own, not by looking over  your
shoulder to find that information readily available on the web.

73  -  Jim   K8MR

In a message dated 1/22/2008 10:36:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
n5ot@n5ot.com writes:

Maybe that's how you make operating decisions. In every other sport,  where
> the
> competitors have real-time information on the other  competitors, decisions
> are
> made based on how the others are  doing. Radiosporting would be no
> different if
> everyone used  getscores.

Ah, Steve.  But why should contesting be like every  other sport?  IMHO the
fact that we DON'T know how our competitors  are doing is something that both
defines contesting and also sets us apart  from other sports.