Re: [CQ-Contest] Getscores.org Changes/Improvements...

To: n2ic@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Getscores.org Changes/Improvements...
From: "Alfred Frugoli" <alfred.frugoli@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:12:52 -0500
Or K5YYY stays up, misses any cat nap, and then finds that his sleep
deprived brain can't pick any calls out of the high band pileups the next
morning and can only maintain a rate of 100/hour and is having trouble
juggling 2 rigs. N2XXX/5 on 3 hours of sleep is pulling the calls out with
ease and works 120+/hour thorough the day, and is able to keep an ear on the
2nd rig which results in finding a 10M opening to Europe that K5YYY misses.
N2XXX/5 wins handily.

Did getscores.org help or hinder K5YYY?  I think if somebody is watching
getscores.org they have just entered themselves into the Single Op
Distracted category that reduces scores, just as in the other distracted
(assisted) category that is officially part of most contests at this point.

Further, I think that the argument of "you make decisions based on real time
information" does not work really well.  During the 49ers Dynasty in the
80's, Bill Walsh would script the first 20 plays and stick to it
religiously.  That's 2-3 times more scripted plays than any other coaches
were sticking to at that time (and sometimes over 1/4 of a game).  Instead
of following his gut, he stuck with his plan.   It resulted in 3 Super Bowl
titles and 6 NFC West division titles in his 10 years as head coach.  I say
stick with the plan.

Winners are leaders.  Somebody who is changing bands based on
getscores.orginfo is not a leader.

73 de Al, KE1FO