Re: [CQ-Contest] self spotting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] self spotting
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:29:34 -0600 (CST)
True.  But that doesn't tell you who the anonymous spotter is or was.

And frankly, if I were of the mindset to use a phony call to self-spot or
otherwise post misleading spots (not that I recommend that, mind you -- nor
would I do so), I'd find some way to disguise my IP address.  I can think of a
few ways to do it... and the most obvious one would be to access the Internet
via a neighbor's unsecured wireless router, and use that as the conduit to feed
spots.  Even if you (or K1TTT doing his good sleuthing work, etc.) traced it
back to the router, you'd only get to my neighbor's home, not mine.

Implausible?  Well, I've noticed several open wireless networks around the
house.  One is located somewhere between myself and WQ3T, assuming that their
network name matches their home address!  So -- you trace it back to that
house, then who do you point the finger at?

73