[CQ-Contest] Skimmer

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer
From: Kevin Stockton <n5dx2005@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 14:18:49 -0800 (PST)
Wow.

If it is labeled "technology", then we just    have to accept it?  Do you think
other sports do that?

Golf puts    limitations on the dimple configuration of a ball or the size of a
head, or    the length of a shaft.  Baseball puts limitations on the type of
bat or    the kind of ball that is used.   As a sport or hobby you don't have
to accept every new technology that is out there.  It is ok to    declare some
things acceptable and others not.

With this    technology, K5GO and I could do a full bore multi-multi contest
just as well as 12    people with two radios going on each band.  Is that
really what people    want to turn this into?  If so, there is no longer an
incentive to    recruit good operators or become a good operator.   During the
last CQWW contest, it was cool to hear N5RZ and W0UA quibble over who had the
best mental sweepstakes database.  If all of these technologies become accepted
for the single operator, then the years of skill and knowledge that have been
accumulated will become superfluous.

If all of the    skill is taken out of the game then it will turn into a
competition of    station building and QTH, the operator is no longer a factor.
I don't have a problem with Skimmer and other technologies, I just don't want
to see them in the single operator category. Put them in the assisted category.
 I need to know that I'm not competing against a computer.

Kevin/N5DX