Re: [CQ-Contest] DUMB CUT NUMBER

To: "'Tom Osborne'" <w7why@verizon.net>, "'CQ-Contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] DUMB CUT NUMBER
From: "Paul J. Piercey" <p.piercey@nl.rogers.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:18:19 -0000
Hi Tom,

There's a reason that this sounds like the "Check Number" thread and that's
because no contest administrator has taken the initiative to put it to rest
by making a definitive clarification concerning them. According to the ARRL
last year when it came up, there was a statement declaring that the Check in
SS can be "any  two-digit number that is used consistently throughout the
contest" or words to that effect. It came out second-hand in a posting here
on the reflector but has not been incorporated into the rules. Until that is
done, there will be controversy.

Now we have the "Great Cut Number Debate of 2008" and, again, until the
contest sponsors either prohibit cut numbers or define the accepted list of
cut numbers and how they are supposed to be used (and put that criteria in
the rules), this controversy will continue. Without parameters, ops can and
will be as creative as they want to be.

People who want to play by the rules need concise rules to play by.

73 -- Paul VO1HE