[CQ-Contest] Proposed changes to ARRL DX Contest rules

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Proposed changes to ARRL DX Contest rules
From: "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:54:02 -0800
I'd suggest that the ARRL DX Contest rules not be changed.

Each contest has its own particular "flavor" that makes the contest what it
is.  They shouldn't all be the same. The rules for any given contest should
have some consistency year to year, as it takes a while to get the word out,
and it makes it less problematic to compare results from one effort to
another.

If the cut number choices used are too cutesy, maybe someone could write a
sidebar article on the good, bad, and ugly of sending numbers and offer some
guidance.

Maybe some of the contestants got a bit too clever with cut numbers.  That
doesn't mean that the rules should be changed.

I went back and forth between logging what I heard (ATT, NNN, AK, 1K, KW,
etc.) and mentally translating them into their numeric equivalents.  What's
the big deal?

Dick, K6KR