Re: [CQ-Contest] Get out of jail free card

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Get out of jail free card
From: "Paul J. Piercey" <p.piercey@nl.rogers.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:18:49 -0000
Good point, Steve.

I can run up and down the bands in S&P mode at a pretty good clip and work
all or most of what I can hear so would I be accused of cheating? Maybe not,
with my scores :)

What is with all this preoccupation with cheating in contesting? Is this the
fallout from the steroid scandal in baseball? All this paranoia can't be
good for the system.

As far as the cluster goes, allow it for all categories and then you don't
have to worry about it. It's out there and available so use it or don't use
it; up to you. Forget these "assisted" categories. Wasn't it developed for
contesting anyway? Categorize by power and number of radios/ops physically
co-located at the station site instead.

If power cheaters are a problem, then I guess the UN will have to send
offical observers to all the foreign contest stations to ensure their power
output is what they claim it to be. Otherwise, there's no way to defend
against it. Anyone who feels inclined to cheat will cheat somehow.

As for Skimmer, this, apparently, is a piece of technology that hears wider
than most radio filters and decodes CW callsigns of what it hears; stuff
that you would hear if you tuned the band as opposed to stuff heard and
reported by an op on the other side of the planet. What's the problem with
it? Doesn't the digital software do the same thing? I've never seen anyone
complain about RTTY contesters being able to scan the band with their
programs so why the big issue now?

Just a question.... did anyone have an issue with the first guys who used
second radios to make contacts on other bands (SO2R) or was it accepted
completely and without reservation from the get-go?

73 -- Paul VO1HE