Re: [CQ-Contest] Get out of jail free card

To: cq-contest reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Get out of jail free card
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:05:31 -0400
On Mar 12, 2008, at 10:40 AM, Zack Widup wrote:

> I haven't seen anyone even guess just what percentage of the
> entrants in a
> contest cheat. Would anyone care to hazard a guess? I would guess
> maybe 2
> to 4 percent. Maybe I'm wrong.

Less than 1 percent from my experience. We've caught cheaters in our
party in the past, but it is really in the noise, and no one caught
cheating ever cheats again. I don't know what  would cause a person
to cheat at something like radiosport, in this day and age, it would
be a lot easier to fabricate a plaque or certificate than go to the
trouble of entering the contest and cheating from there.

I've said it before, and it bears repeating: Contesters need to
police themselves, just like they do for the ARS in general. Know of
someone cheating? Quietly turn them in to the contest sponsor, along
with the evidence. Have evidence. Back up your claim. We don't make
an announcement, just a quite "busted! yer outta here.... That isn't
satisfying to the folks who want the perps wearing public sackcloth,
but it gets the job done regardless.

Bogus logs often have clues to their bogosity, which leads me to the
next advice.

Never ever send in a bogus log to "test the system". I suspect anyone
caught doing that in any contest earns a permanent DQ. They do with
us for sure.

I'd even hazard a guess that imposition of draconian new cheater
rules will have the unwanted effect of attracting people who will
cheat out of seeing if they can get away with it. Most of the
proposals flying around can be hacked,  btw. Just depends on how much
effort is put into it.

Most all Hams are honest and scrupulous ladies and gentlemen. We
should treat them as such. And if someone violates that trust and is
caught, it should be one strike and you're out.

-73 de Mike N3LI -