Re: [CQ-Contest] Get out of jail free card

To: cq-contest reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Get out of jail free card
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:17:26 -0400
On Mar 11, 2008, at 5:34 PM, Ron Notarius W3WN wrote:

> And once again, I strongly object to the notion that we be required to
> record our operation on the chance that we might be a top
> competitor.  Sorry
> Scott, but IMHO, this suggestion creates as many or more problems
> than it
> appears to solve.
>
> This used to be a joke.  We used to laugh at people who seemed
> obsessed on
> doing this.  Now it's considered standard, and more to the point,
> you want
> to impose it?  All in the hopes that it MIGHT help the contest
> committee
> catch a few cheaters?

        At the risk of having cooler heads prevail, Ron is quite correct,
and I would advise people stepping back and taking a deep breath.

The issue is presumably cheating, and ways to mitigate it.

The issue is not (or shouldn't be) to have all prospective contesters
be accused of cheating, and to have to provide the incriminating
evidence to boot.

Those who want intensive monitoring and public piilorage are well
intentioned, but are perhaps being a bit short sighted. There are
plenty of solutions some brought up here:

Almost all of them serve to disqualify good honest people because of
requirements that bypass their equipment ability, or force them to
spend money to "prove their innocence". Some call for contest
sponsors to actually set up a worldwide monitoring system!  Many of
these "improvements" end up calling for extra staff or volunteers, of
which are already in short supply, especially given that some people
sense that a lot of contesters seem to think that the sponsors are
themselves being shady, corrupt, or unethical.

I'm trying to envision someone wanting to start contesting under such
a system. I certainly wouldn't send in a log. Is that supposed to fun
or something?

Don't eat your seed corn folks.

-73 de Mike N3LI -