Re: [CQ-Contest] Expansion of Skimmer Subject

To: "Colleen Brakob" <cbrakob@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Expansion of Skimmer Subject
From: Charles Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:02:26 -0400
> Yeah, and the Tour 'de France should adapt with changing techonlogies also,
> and use Harleys instead of Schwinns.

> 73, de Hans, K0HB/W7

 Except the TdF does adapt - when was the last time you saw anyone there use a
5 speed, tension shift rear?  It's all 7s and 8s and click shift

I don't know if Skimmer should be allowed - heck, I don't play in CW

What I do see is folks saying "Skimmer would not be distinguishable from a
properly run SO2R".  I'll take folks at their work on this. (for now) and say
If you can't tell, you really have 2 choices, the first, allow skimmer in the
SO classes, the second, DON'T allow skimmer, OR SO2R (aka revisit that ruling)
(third would be honor system)

In other words, technologies LIKE skimmer (and others) change the game.  When
the game changes, we have to look at rule changes, and NOT necessarily "small"
changes, the best bet might be a total re-think of the rules and classes.  Does
it break 'tradition' - yes, it does, but radiosport has to come to grips with
the massive changes in technology since the say, 1960s.

People WILL try and game the rules.  Do we want this? (it can be yes or no)
Right now we are in the "yes" mode.

I really have no horse in this race - I follow radiosport, but I'd say 99% of
the time, for the major contests, I never even turn on the rig - I have a small
one man station, it the city, with short wire antennas, the are low to make up
for it <grin> .  My scores are going to be way closer to last than first.

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!

deserve neither liberty nor safety."