Re: [CQ-Contest] Move WPX Back to 30 Hours?

To: "'Georgens, Tom'" <Tom.Georgens@netapp.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Move WPX Back to 30 Hours?
From: "Tonno Vahk" <tonno.vahk@mail.ee>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 17:41:25 +0200
yes, indeed:) This seems to be a rather small issue and the probability of
it being changed is also very small but still, seeing how you fight over
this and other issues hot here I am sort of happy that you guys live in a
pretty big country over there and not in a small village where you could
just walk up to your neighbour and blow his brains out:)

Seriously, if asked to vote then I am very OK with 36 hours that already
makes WPX a completely different contest from CQWW and really gives you all
the time in the world to sleep in between. We are forgetting that we are in
the bottom of the sunspot cycle and 3-4 years from now even the most distant
regions in the world should have plenty of activity for 36 hours. And if you
are in such a region you would never be able to compete against Africa, NA
or EU anyway. Why being against 36h?? It gives you chance for some more
QSOs. In reality we know that NA and EU will never be competing against CA
or AF. West coast can never compete with East coast in those contest where
working EU is important. East EU can never outcompete CT or CU or GI. We can
never make the palying field equal by greating handicaps and trying to
tailor them as the propagation changes, activity changes, etc. That is why
WRTC qualification competition is so interesting - you can actually compete
meaningfully in your own region!

W1MD made over 4300 QSOs as PJ2T in 2006 SOAB WPX SSB and says it got
boring??:)) What kind of rate do you want to have to avoid the temptation of
going to the pool? I am happy to run twice less QSOs in 36 hours and still
have plenty to do, especially if you run SO2R. In every WPX in the last
years I have had to quit a great run 4-5 hours before the end of the contest
with great sorrow.

I have to agree that most of those guys who don?t do 36 hours seriously will
also not do 30 hours. It is perfectly fine for everybody to enjoy the time
they have at their radio and 36 hours limit for SOAB guys give more stations
for everybody to work for sure and more activity in the air and that is what
we want, right? In reality the order of top scorers would not change really
with less than 20% change in the time limit.

So anyway, just an opinion and I am happy to participate in WPX being it 36,
30 or any other hours long!:)

73
tonno
es5tv