Re: [CQ-Contest] Move WPX Back to 30 Hours?

To: "Randy Thompson" <k5zd@charter.net>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Move WPX Back to 30 Hours?
From: "Richard L. King" <k5na@ecpi.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 18:11:22 +0000
I know what you are saying Randy and I respectably disagree that this
is really needed. I don't think that reducing the hours of a contest
will do much to balance the competition level of that contest. I
think it would just be a shorter contest.

And I admit, I always see the reduction of operating time and sleep
deprivation as a "hidden" motivation for time limit changes.

I believe that fewer hours will mean less fun no matter how much more
competitive I might feel in the WPX. I contest because it is fun to
contest. I certainly don't do it to win anything. If that were the
case, I would collect stamps instead.

All contests are not created equal for everyone. Maybe what we need
is a Stew Perry style contest that is world-wide and all bands.
Getting additional points based on the distance of the QSO is the
best equalizer I can think of.

Richard - K5NA