Re: [CQ-Contest] Improper WPX Exchanges

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Improper WPX Exchanges
From: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 21:52:01 +0100
From: <ku8e@bellsouth.net>

>  Why do we need to exchange our zones in CQWW DX?
>  We already know the zones of the stations we work
>  with the exception of the USA.

You're right - but that's an issue for another day.

> Many contests have what some would consider obsolete
> rules but the bottom line is you still have to follow
> them.

The other option is to break the rule for the sole
purpose of demonstrating that the rule is obsolete.
If you then submit an entry and suffer no penalty,
you know that the rule is no longer in force or the
offence is so trivial that the contest sponsors do
not care one way or another.

> If you knowingly break a rule then it should be
> grounds for disqualification.

I agree with you.  Contesters who break rules should
be penalised - up to and including disqualification
depending on the gravity of the offence.  But, maybe
some rules are not really rules?  One legitimate and
time-tested way of finding out is to break the rule.

73,
Paul EI5DI