[CQ-Contest] Do we want this in the future?

To: Stan Stockton <k5go@cox.net>,<rt_clay@bellsouth.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Do we want this in the future?
From: Jim George <n3bb@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:10:05 -0500
Personally I believe adding additional non-human single-operator methods of
receiving signals (and populating band maps) within the S/O category is
unwise. However the future trend line of this, whether packet or one's own
radio with an I/F Skimmer signal decoder and text display, will include the
advent of smart robotic software which will enable the operator to respond
to the desired station automatically. That is, the decoder will display the
signal and the software will be smart enough to call automatically and to
log the exchange and respond to complete the QSO. This will be fully
automatic. Do we really want to open single-operator contesting to full
robotic automation? Let's think two or three steps ahead of the Skimming
technology itself. It's bad for S/O for a number of reasons. It's a very
interesting technology and promises to change the face of assisted and
multi-op contesting. But let's keep it out of Single-Op.

Jim George N3BB