Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer
From: Scott Robbins <w4pa@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:10:07 -0700 (PDT)
--- "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com> wrote:
> Scott,
>
> > >From the rules:
> > -----------
> > 1. Single Operator High:  Those stations at which one person
> > performs all of the operating, logging, and spotting functions.
> > -----------
> >
> > Those stations at which one PERSON performs ... SPOTTING functions.
> >
> > A piece of computer software decoding CW signals is not a
> > person performing a spotting function.  If the callsign is
> > decoded by a method other than the human ear, that is not a
> > person spotting a callsign, it's a machine.  A computer.  A
> > computer is not a person.  The rule says PERSON.  Not person
> > operating a computer that spots the callsigns for you.
>
> You have all the "words" but you are not parsing them correctly.

I'm sorry -- I don't parse.  The CQ WW rules are written in plain English.

DX alerting assistance of any kind is not permitted.  It says OF ANY KIND.

> The computer is not a person,

Thank you -- you proved my point.  The computer is not a person.  We have both
now said it.  The CQWW rules say "Those stations at which one person performs
all of the operating, logging, and spotting functions."

Pointless to continue this.

73
Scott W4PA