Re: [CQ-Contest] Petition to Ban Skimmer

To: "'Sandy Taylor'" <ve4xt@mts.net>, <k1ttt@arrl.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Petition to Ban Skimmer
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 23:46:00 -0400
> Why does every suggestion that there remain a skimmerless
> category, just like there remains a packetless category,
> result in someone arguing a point that is not made?

A locally operated Skimmer is completely different than a
network of skimmers.  Data from outside is assistance, data
from one's own station, unless it is generated by a second
human operator, is not assistance.  It is quite simple, CW
transmitted by another operator or logging performed by
another person is a multi-operator station ... CW transmitted
by a memory keyer or computer and logging by a computer is
single operator.  CW copied by a computer is no different
than CW sent by the same computer.

If you want to label CW copied by computer as assistance,
that computer is the assistant and ANYTHING the computer
does is assistance.  You can't have it both ways.  The
computer is a tool or the computer is assistance - one
or the other.  There is no "well maybe" here - this is a
binary choice - yes or no.