[CQ-Contest] Skimmer for S/O in IARU

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer for S/O in IARU
From: Jim George <n3bb@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 08:24:55 -0500
The current headline from Radio-Sport.net indicated the Skimmer will be
allowed in the IARU by S/O competitors. Assuming that is correct, that is a
total game-changer. The WPX was not a contest where packet was going to
make a huge difference over a good SO2R station and operator. But the IARU
is different, with access to more multipliers and even simple QSOs making a
significant difference compared with "normal" SO2R. Personally, I am very
disappointed in the ARRL for allowing this. It's clear to me that at the
very least, Skimmer would place the user in the Assisted class. And coming
at the time when this IARU is important for WRTC qualifying points, it
could be a difference maker.

I will compete, and will not boycott it, although I disagree with the
League's position.

Jim George N3BB