Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer for S/O in IARU

To: "'Stan Stockton'" <k5go@cox.net>, "'doug smith'" <dougw9wi@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer for S/O in IARU
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 00:28:16 -0400
> What I said was that I think it falls within the "INTENT" of
> a spotting net.

No! It does not fall within the "intent" or a spotting net.
A spotting net is ASSISTANCE FROM OUTSIDE THE STATION - not
a LAN within the station.

Get it through your head, Skimmer when run on a receiver within
the "500 meter" circle is not assistance under ANY common use
of the word in contesting circles.  In words a first grader can
understand: "Assistance is participation in any part of the
operating function by another operator whether in the station or
remotely by internet, packet, telephone, VHF intercom or any
other form of communication."

Computers are not operators - they do not transmit except under
direction of the human operator.  Bandscopes are not operators
(assistance), code readers are not operators (assistance),
second/third/fourth receivers are certainly not operators (assistance).

Multiple receivers are permitted as long as they are located within
the 500 meter circle.

Where does a computer controlled second receiver located within the
500 meter circle feeding a multiple channel code reader become
assistance?

To attempt to define a collection of otherwise "legal" technologies
assistance when used together is absurd.  It is the intellectual
equivalent of  saying: "K3LR uses Icom transceivers, therefore anyone
who uses an Icom transceivers must be a multi-multi."