Re: [CQ-Contest] rules

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] rules
From: kd4d@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 16:56:58 +0000
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
> Hi Randy et al --
>
>    We are seeing a blizzard of rules proposals and counter-proposals.
> But we don't actually know if there is a "problem" yet with CW skimmers.
>
>    Rather than changing rules, let's do this:
>
> 1.  For the next two years, when reporting a score, also answer this
> question:
>    "Did you use a CW Skimmer or its equivalent?"
> This question applies to all entrants: single op and multi-op.
>
> 2.  Publish the line scores with a mark indicating the answer to that
> question.
>
> 3.  In 2010 June, review the results of the past two years to determine
>   a)  Does the use of a CW skimmer have a material impact on scores?
>   b)  If yes, do the award categories need to be changed in some way?
> Or is disclosure sufficient?
>
> -- Eric K3NA

Hi Eric:

If the Skimmer was just a single program which was roughly frozen at its
current capabilities, I would agree with you.  However, I think
it will rapidly evolve and that others will create programs with greater
capabilities.  Taking the basic skimmer technology and creating a "robot"
which would totally automate working the stations is a logical next
step.

Two years is a VERY long time.  I think a discussion of whether we as a
community want to draw a line before contests are being won by
automated stations is appropriate now.

73,

Mark, KD4D