Re: [CQ-Contest] A wish for the well-considered discussion

To: "Zack Widup" <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A wish for the well-considered discussion
From: "Neal Campbell" <nealk3nc@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 09:44:29 -0400
Being a cluster sysop since '89, I was always amused at the local hams
that equated it with the phone systems ("if I wanted to know where all
the dx was I would just call them on the phone and ask them!").

Neal

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 8:23 AM, Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org> wrote:

> And if you want to go back to the days before 'puters, come up with or
> drag out some old QST's and CQ's to read. I've been fascinated by some of
> the stuff in the QST's from the late 60's (when I joined ARRL) onward.
>
> 73, Zack W9SZ
>

> On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, B. Scott Andersen wrote:
>
>> Colleagues,
>>
>> I'm sure some of us on the list are unhappy with all the Skimmer
>> talk. I'd like to not advocate either position in this message
>> but instead urge the group to keep the discussion going, in a
>> disciplined way of course. Nobody wants to see ad hominem
>> attacks, or folks doing the internet equivalent of stomping their
>> feet and holding their breaths. But, I believe there is a great benefit
>> to keeping a well-ordered and thoughtful discussion here.
>>
>> You see, this isn't the first time stuff like this has come up. And,
>> while I've not been around forever (like many of you) I have
>> dug through the archives to find many an amusing and
>> enlightening thread highlighting brouhahas of the past.
>>
>> There was a discussion of a ratings system in June of 1993. Here is
>> an exasperation from WB4IUX that makes many interesting point, including
>> "No matter what you do, you can't please all the people all the time.
>> Matter of fact,
>> when it comes to ham radio contests and DX you can't even please a few
>> of the
>> people any of the time!"
>>
>> http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/cq-contest/1993-June/001971.html
>>
>> A little passion with your common sense isn't a bad thing as evidenced
>> by
>> this note from 15 years ago. Also from this era is a discussion in
>> July 1993
>> anticipating "Robot stations". Consider this gem called "Computer op,
>> unassisted" by N6TV:
>>
>> http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/cq-contest/1993-July/001928.html
>>
>> "Yes, as I mentioned before, I would love to see a "Computer op,
>> unassisted," category. This is a significant technical challenge
>> worthy of reward. Remember the guy who offered some large cash award
>> for the first human powered flight across the English channel? I'd
>> love to see someone offer such an incentive to the first completely
>> automated amateur station capable of making 200 CW QSOs in the NA
>> Sprint."
>>
>> Talk about forward thinking!
>>
>> http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/cq-contest/1994-February/003351.html
>>
>> And, just to break the monotony here, there was a note in February 2004
>> asking people to get those guys working 3Y0PI a break. Imagine that!
>> People complaining about DXpedition operations... not that such things
>> happen now-a-days. {grin}
>>
>> There is also an occasional message that is sobering.
>>
>> http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/cq-contest/1994-April/003021.html
>>
>> "At 10:04am EST Easter Sunday Dana delivered our 1st (7 lb 6 oz)
>> harmonic!
> [...]

Neal Campbell
Abroham Neal Software
Programming Services for Windows, OS X and Linux
(540) 242 0911