Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge

To: <wc1m@msn.com>, "'cq-contesting cq-contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:28:33 -0400
Dick,

> Packet, of course, spawned a new category. While the term
> Assisted was used, and sometimes the rules say use of a
> spotting network automatically makes you multi-op, we
> shouldn't get lost in the fact that packet requires help from
> other people.

That's correct - it involves other individuals and is therefore
multi-single.

> The real reason packet spawned a new
> category was the way it affected the competition. Contesters
> realized that not having to tune for mults and QSOs was a
> very different way of operating and might provide an unfair
> advantage over those who tuned for mults and QSOs.

No, the real reason the cluster spawned a new category was because
those who used the cluster did not want to compete against tag-team
operators.

> Rather than basing category decisions on names ("assistance",
> "technology", etc.), or how the variations are implemented,
> we should base our decisions on how the competition is affected.

If you want to base decisions on "how competition is effected"
then you need to reexamine all categories.  If "how completion
is effected" is your criteria high power/low power/QRP should
be based on an EIRP (effective isotropic radiated power) and
not just power.  If "effect" is the criteria, the vertical/dipole
and amplifier station belongs in the "low power" category and the
barefoot/yagi station belongs in the "high power" category.  As
the categories currently stand, the only thing that matters is
transmitter power and the involvement of other individuals.

It is not appropriate to "lock the barn after the horse is out."
Skimmer is simply a repackaging of technologies that have been
available for many years (SO#R and CW decoders) with a new
interface.  How do you deal with another product that packages
the same components differently - what if WriteLog were to
accept the broadband I/Q audio from the transceiver and display
the calls/frequencies directly without any intervening telnet
interface?

> SO2R, on the other hand, is a technology that has sparked
> many category debates. While the issue has been settled by
> the contest sponsors, it comes up again and again because
> people understand that it can change the nature of the
> competition. But, unlike Skimmer, SO2R requires *more*
> operator skill, not less.

The top operators are where the are because they optimize all
their resources - not because they copy CW better than the
other entrants.  They know which band to be on at a given
time, they are more skilled at moving multipliers, they have
better knowledge of short term openings, they know the habits
of the regular but "rare" stations, etc.

Skimmer technology is not going to change any of that - it will
be just one more source of information for the operator.  Skimmer
is not going to find the weak/fluttery backscatter/side scatter
signals - it doesn't know where to point the beam.  It's not
going to find the weak Asian signals on 160 and 80 - it won't
be able to select the right receiving antenna or manipulate the
null steering to get rid of the noisy streetlight or multi-multi
in the next county.  Skimmer is not likely to copy the unstable
auroral signals or chirpy/drifty signals.  Yes, skimmer will
copy the strong stable signals that are calling CQ but will
find the multipliers running a pile and giving their call once
every five minutes?

> So, let's normalize the equation by comparing top operators
> who compete SO-Unassisted. We really don't know what would
> happen if two titans like K5ZD and K1AR competed with equal
> stations, one with packet and the other without. But it's
> easy to see that such a competition wouldn't compare their
> skills apples-to-apples. This also would be true if one used
> Skimmer and one did not. Does it make any sense at all for
> them to compete in the same category?

I think the Luddites are overestimating the impact of this
technology.  Skimmer is being given skimmer too much credit
and too much value is being placed on copying CW by ear.
Like any productivity enhancing technology skimmer may make a
difference between two otherwise identically skilled operators
but it is not going to suddenly make a third quartile operator
number one.  Skimmer may shake up the order slightly as some
operators become more skilled at utilizing it to its full
potential  but it is no more a "class changer" than SO2R or
computer logging.

For the single radio operator skimmer is not likely to do much
beyond what can be accomplished by effectively tuning the second
receiver (in band) while running.  For the SO2R operator skimmer
may make the second radio more productive by effectively increasing
second radio S&P time.  Still, SO2R is a far bigger determinant of
the outcome than skimmer will be.

The skimmer effect is similar to computer logging - if the
operator continues to use a single radio, the reduction in
time spent on logging is not going to significantly increase
his score.  If, on the other hand that increased efficiency
is applied to operating SO2R the score will increase significantly.
It is not the technology ... skilled operators without skimmer
will continue to beat lesser skilled operators with skimmer just
like there are single radio operators (e.g., K3ZO) who regularly
beat lesser skilled SO2R operators.

When skimmer is given a fair analysis and in context of all the
other technologies, this issue not one of "assistance" - it is
nothing more than "not in my back yard."  Skimmer, with all its
limitations, is likely to have a far smaller impact than SO2R.
It may provide the opportunity to get a small handful of extra
multipliers but not necessarily more than could be found by
improving the operator's "second receiver" utilization.

To those who ask, "why should I have to compete with someone
using skimmer?"  I ask, why should I have to compete with someone
using SO2R or big antennas?

An operator who wants to be number one needs to use all of the
technology and operator skills at his disposal - computer logging,
SO2R, adequate antennas and any other available technology.  The
operator who rejects SO2R, or big antenna, or skimmer does so with
full knowledge that he has chosen to limit his options.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV