Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 13:20:21 +0000

> > > No we haven't.  Read the CQWW rules which clearly state "The use of DX
> > > alerting assistance of any kind places the station in the Single
> > > Operator Assisted category".
>
> K1TTT wrote:
>
> > As literally read this places any operator that turns their dial to
> alert
> > themselves to the presence of dx in the assisted category.  So2r
> operators
> > are way into the assisted category since they can be alerted even on
> bands
> > they aren't transmitting on.
>
> Sorry, but if the operator tunes the radio and finds stations to work, he
> is not receiving assistance.  He is doing the job himself..
>
> A more legitmate arguement than this one could be made to those who
> consider that spotting assistance has to come from another person, saying
> that if Skimmer is allowed, everyone using Skimmer is receiving assistance
> from those who send out a short CQ for the express purpose of spotting
> themselves on everyone's Skimmer screen.
>
> Stan, K5GO

but obviously if you don't turn your dial you can't be alerted to the
frequency or calls of stations not on your cqing frequency, so you are
assisted by turning the knob... having a second knob so you don't have to
leave your cq frequency is even more helpful, so would be an even better
assist.  so turning the dial is a way of 'dx alerting assistance of ANY
kind'.  Doing it yourself is the same as letting a computer you set up in
your station do it.  the same goes for band scopes, they 'alert' you to dx
and make it easier to find, so they are obviously assistance.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net