Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 11:17:45 +0000
> > The anti-skimmer forces seem to have lost site of the entire
> > CONCEPT of "assistance."
>
> No we haven't.  Read the CQWW rules which clearly state "The use of DX
> alerting assistance of any kind places the station in the Single
> Operator Assisted category".

As literally read this places any operator that turns their dial to alert
themselves to the presence of dx in the assisted category.  So2r operators
are way into the assisted category since they can be alerted even on bands
they aren't transmitting on.

You must consider the history of the 'assisted' class that was created to
allow use of packet networks by single ops so they didn't have to compete
against multi-ops... code readers, 2nd receivers, machine generated morse,
all existed before that time and there was no debate then about them being
'assistance'.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net